Welcome to Kereru Team
Year 1, 2 and 3
In the first weeks of this term we will be focusing on getting to know each other and working together to build a positive and supportive class culture.
We will learn about the difference between ‘warm fuzzies’ and ‘cold prickles’ and how they make us feel. At the end of each day the children will have the opportunity to give out happy notes which will acknowledge other people from the Kereru team who have made them feel happy with a ‘warm fuzzy’.
Some reminders for starting back at school:
- It would be helpful if you could send your child’s stationery along to school as soon as possible.
- Children need to bring a water bottle.
- Please make sure that your child has a book bag that they bring to school daily.
- During term 1 it is essential that your child has a hat at school each day.
- Please send their swimming togs to school daily as well.
We look forward to getting to know you and your child.
Mary and Julie
Home Learning Expectations
Your child will bring home notices, spelling words and reading books in their book bag. Please check their book bag regularly. It is important to return their book bag containing the reading log and all reading books back to school every day.
Reading (10 – 15 minutes, 5 times a week)
- Your child will bring home a reading book most nights. These are usually texts we have read together prior to bringing home. They will also bring home library books and sometimes browsing books. Some children will also be working on a high frequency word pack.
- Children will need to be listened to, as they are practising how to read in interesting ways. As the year progresses many children will be practising how to read silently in their head so asking them to retell main events, describe characters or state why they like/dislike a text will be a good way to check their understanding.
- Their reading book must be returned to school before they will be given a new one.
- Please fill in the reading log each time your child reads.
- Library books will come home once a week after we visit the library on Tuesdays. The children can also exchange their books at lunchtime on any other day.
Spelling (3 minutes, 4 – 5 times a week)
- Later in the term your child will bring home a spelling list in a spelling notebook. This will have 10 words that they have spelt incorrectly in a termly spelling assessment. When they have completed their list they need to bring it to school to be tested. New lists will then be issued.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any queries about your child’s homework or any other aspect of their learning. You can email us on [email protected] or [email protected] or send a note along to school.