Welcome to Tui Team
Our Learning Programme
In the first weeks of this term we will be focusing on getting to know each other and working together to build a positive and supportive class culture.
We will learn about the difference between ‘warm fuzzies’ and ‘cold prickles’ and how they make us feel. At the end of each day the children will have the opportunity to give out happy notes which will acknowledge other people from the Tui team who have made them feel happy with a ‘warm fuzzy’.
The children will also be introduced to the ‘credit card’ system which will be used to track their progress towards achieving their STAND award.
Some reminders for starting back at school:
- It would be helpful if you could send your child’s stationery along to school as soon as possible.
- Children need to bring a water bottle.
- Please make sure that your child has a book bag that they bring to school daily.
- During term 1 it is essential that your child has a hat at school each day.
- Please send their swimming togs to school daily as well.
We look forward to getting to know you and your child.
Mary and Julie
Home Learning Expectations
Your child will bring home notices, spelling words, basic facts and published work in their homework folder and reading books in their book bag. Please check their folder and book bag regularly. It is important to return their book bag containing the folder, the reading log and all reading books back to school every day.
Reading (10 – 15 minutes, 5 times a week)
- Your child will bring home a reading book most nights. These are usually texts we have read together prior to bringing home. They will also bring home library books and sometimes browsing books. Some children will also be working on a high frequency word pack.
- Some children will need to be listened to, as they are practising how to read in interesting ways. Other children are practising how to read silently in their head so asking them to retell main events, describe characters or state why they like/dislike a text is a good way to check their understanding.
- Their reading book must be returned to school before they will be given a new one.
- Please fill in the reading log each time your child reads. On Fridays the children will be awarded one credit for each night that they read.
- Library books will come home once a week after we visit the library on Wednesdays. The children can also exchange their books at lunchtime on any other day.
Spelling (3 minutes, 4 – 5 times a week)
- Later in the term your child will bring home a spelling sheet that is to be kept in their homework folder. This will have 20 words that they have spelt incorrectly in a termly spelling assessment. When they have completed their list they need to bring it to school to be tested. New lists will then be issued.
Maths (5 minutes, 4 – 5 times a week)
- Basic facts sheets will come home later in the term.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any queries about your child’s homework or any other aspect of their learning. You can email us on [email protected] or [email protected] or send a note along to school.
Term One – Week one
Dear Parents / Caregivers,
We would like to welcome you and your children to the Tui team. This is the first of regular update emails that will we send to keep you informed during the year.
This term learning conferences for all children will be held in week 3. These are a 3 way meeting between child, parent and teacher and will provide an opportunity for us to get to know you and your child better. We will ask about your child’s interests and abilities, and give you the opportunity to ask questions and tell us anything else that you think we need to know about your child. We will also ask you and your child your goals for their learning in the coming year. There will also be time to look at last year’s end of year report if it needs discussing.
We are holding our learning conferences on Monday 11th, Tuesday 12th and Thursday 14th February. We have the extra time slots on Thursday as we both like to meet all of the parents in our team and need some extra times to make this achievable. The interview will be able to be booked from Friday onwards, you will receive an email from the office with instructions on how to book a learning conference for your child.
The reading logs are now available at the office and you can purchase the green log for $5.00. If it is isn’t feasible to purchase one now the children can record the books that they have read on a piece of paper and bring it along to school to show us on Fridays.
Home Learning clearfiles
Today the children have brought home their home learning clearfiles. At the front of the clearfile there is a notice about our expectations for home learning, please read this so you are aware of the routines that you can follow to best assist your child’s learning.
Today we spent some time talking with the children about what ‘Taking Responsibility’ would look like at school. The children came up with things like; cleaning up, looking after our belongings and making good choices about our behaviour. The messages that children take on board are often those that they are hearing from the important adults in their lives and if they are hearing these messages from both school and home it will have greater impact. So we suggest that you spend some time talking with your child about what ‘Taking Responsibility’ will look like at home. Doing this at home might mean things like; packing your own school bag, carrying your school bag to school, tidying up after yourself and owning your behaviour when you do something wrong.
Children in the Tui team will also gain 1 ‘Take Responsibility’ credit for each night they have done and recorded their home reading and we will give these credits out on Fridays. We know that home practice in reading is crucial to continued progress and we really want to promote this.
We look forward to meeting you at the learning conferences and getting to know you and your child better. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries.
Mary & Julie